Journey back to art

Almost gave up on keeping art journals

My second attempt at trying to come up with an art journaling idea was to create an Autumn day. This too turned out really terrible. I tried to use black gesso but I was trying to do what I did before the brain injury. That, of course, would not work. Although it is more accurate to say that I was physically not able to do it, but still it looked very bad and printing images made them washed out. Which is to say the whole page was ugly.

At this point, I was feeling more than a little frustrated and I was ready to give up the idea of mixed media journaling. I decided to give it one last try though. I would change the way I was going about it and instead of having an idea then working to execute it, I would start with no idea then see where that took me.

I had already gone through a phase of buying art supplies whether I had a purpose for them but I only had two of the scrapbooking paper collections. I decided to use the gold book first.

As I was looking through the pages I saw one that I thought would make very interesting frames. Luckily it fit both of the images that I planned to use. One was a postcard that I had from a group that I had bought from the Stampington store a little over a year ago. The other was an image cut out from a magazine.

Unfortunately, I did not do a very good job of cutting each frame out. There are times I really hate being so shaky and this would be one …then I have to consciously remember to cut myself a break because the shaky could always get worse. I had seen an art journal background made with white gesso and light colors already. So I used black gesso to start. But in hindsight, I should not have glued the images plus frames down first.

There was a big problem when using black gesso instead of white. Namely, in the black gesso showing up so stark against the white paper. Since Americana pant had no hope of covering it I went ahead and painted the rest of both pages black. Then I tried adding colors again so I used the ‘Antique Gold’, ‘Cranberry Wine’ and ‘Deep Burgundy ‘.

I have mixed feelings about Americana paints but I’ll talk about that in another post.

I knew that I was using a thinner paint but I went ahead and painted the gesso with it randomly. Then while the paint was still wet I used a baby wipe to gently wipe some paint off. It made an interesting effect.

Again, I should have waited to glue the images and the frames down. The paper quality is so lacking the baby wipe was able to get past the paint and the gesso. I added a little more of the black gesso in spots where the paper showed through. Not much, just enough to coat the end of my finger. Then I wanted to cover the frame edges that already had paint on them.

I still had the gold striped paper which did help some so I used it on the other side to cover the places where either gesso or paint went over the frame. I was cautiously optimistic since it was now starting to look like the art journal pages I had seen on Pinterest. Just having something succeed was a good feeling after the creative dumpster fire that was the last year.

Of course, then I wasn’t sure if I could add anything else. It looked decent and I really wasn’t sure if I could actually add anything because I didn’t have much else. I went with one of the few things I had which was a death’s head moth stamp. It looked alright on one side but the stamp did not work very well on the other. So I did my best to cover it with washi tape.

I think it looked better before I added the stamp but I’m going to call this page done.

Get BLICK Free Shipping on orders of $35 or more! Exclusions apply

Leave a Reply